images/news_piazza_siena/2018/1-Filippo-Bologni-on-Quidich-de-la-Chivee_PhCsioRoma-MGrassia-1.jpg

Super-fast Filippo wins the opening class for Italy

With the only time below 60 seconds it was Italy’s Filippo Bologni who won the exciting Safe Riding competition which got CSIO Rome Piazza di Siena - Masters D’Inzeo 2018 underway this morning. The 23-year-old son of former Italian showjumping star Arnaldo Bologni was on fire as he set off with the handsome chestnut stallion Quidich de la Chavee, and the pair scorched through the finish to post the electrifying time of 59.74 seconds when 28th to go in the field of 51 starters.

None of the rest could catch him, although Emanuele Gaudiano (31) ensured Italian domination was total when slotting into runner-up spot with Einstein who broke the beam in 60.41 seconds. It was a truly international line-up for the prize-giving, with Belgium’s Francois Mathy Jr (Cassis van de Kranenberg) finishing third ahead of Great Britain’s Louise Saywell (Feigtling) in fourth, America’s Spencer Smith (Happiness) in fifth and Swedish Olympian Malin Baryard-Johnsson (H&M Second Chance) in sixth place.

Pole position

Bologni was delighted to put his country into pole position in the first international competition at the 86th CSIO Rome. “This is my third win in Rome and it’s always incredible to win here!” said the young man who has been three time Italian Young Rider Champion. “For the Italian public the events at Verona and Rome are so special - a win here means everything to me and I’m really looking forward to my next one!” said the rider who has a colossal following on social media.

Talking about his stallion, Quidich, he said “he has his own ideas but he always tries so hard for me!” And he has another fantastic stallion to compete at Piazza di Siena this week. “In January I got Lacan, the horse previously ridden by Patrick Stuhlmeyer” he explained. However establishing their relationship has not been easy.  “It has taken some time for us to find our way together but in the last month it feels much better and I’m looking forward to seeing how we can go in some of the other competitions here before we go on to CSIO Lisbon next weekend”.

This first competition took place at the new sand arena at the Galoppatoio where much of this year’s action will take place. However the next international class, The Elgel & volkers Two-Phase which begins at 14.00 local time, will be staged in the beautiful grass arena for which Piazza di Siena is world-famous. Ph. Csio Roma - MGrassia

Main Partner

Official Partner

Technical Partner

Safety Partner

Con il Patrocinio di